How To Upcycle Empty Candle Jars into Planter
First, it is important to clean and wash your empty candle jar.
Cleaning takes about 5 minutes. You can view our tutorial here
( Because our candles are 100% natural so they're easy and quick to clean ).
What you will need:
- Potting Soil
- Seeds or pre-potted plant
- Gravel / Broken Seashells
- Starting with a cleaned candle vessel, fill the bottom 1-inch with either small loose rocks, gravel or broken seashells. This creates drainage so your plants don’t become waterlogged and rot.
- Fill the next inch or so with potting soil.
- For pre-potted plants, Inset your plant, making sure to gently break up any root-ball. Fill in gaps with potting soil. Press down lightly and water well.
- For planting seeds - Fill the remainder of your vessel with potting soil and sow your seeds as instructed. Water well and set in sunny window.
We find that plants that require less waterings ( such as orchids or succulents ) do best in these vessels.
Tip - These vessels also work great for propagating plants such as Pothos.
Not sure how to propagate? It’s much easier than you may think.
- Take cutting of your plant ( at least 6 inches long with 4 or more leaves )
- Remove the leaves closest to where you cut, and place in water.
- Set in an area that gets lots of indirect sunlight.
- After about a month, you will see rootlets being to form, and you can transplant into soil.